West 43rd house fire ruled arson
By: Star Beacon - Shelley Terry
ASHTABULA — An early Sunday morning fire at a vacant house on West 43rd Street was determined Monday to be arson, according to the Ashtabula Fire Department.
At 2:40 a.m. Sunday, city firefighters were called to the house fire at 116 W. 43rd St. Fire was showing from the rear of the second floor of the wood frame house, according to the firefighters’ report.
The house was vacant and did not contain any furnishings, firefighters said.
No one was injured.
Firefighters attacked the blaze with water hoses and the second floor was vented from the porch roof via a ground ladder, the firefighters’ report said.
The water supply line was hooked up to a hydrant on the west side of Main Avenue, the report said.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, the report said.
There was no power to the house, as all of the wiring had been stolen from the basement, firefighters said. The gas meter also was shut off.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:18 a.m., but the fire investigator continued on with his examination, according to a news release.