News Articles
Emerg. Preparedness
Hot Shots
Press Releases
Department Roster
Apparatus
Department History
Services Provided
Important Links
Fire FAQ's


Department SOG's

Medical Privacy Notice

Five saved in apartment fire -
Video Documentary


Entrance Exam 2017



2007 Images
2006 Images
2005 Images
2004 Images
2003 Images
2002 Images
2001 Images
2000 Images
1999 Images

Historical Images

See All Images


Sleepy smoker causes fire


By:  Star Beacon

ASHTABULA - - A sleepy smoker got more ashes and smoke than he anticipated Sunday afternoon.

The Ashtabula Fire Department was called to Michigan Square Apart-ments, 2158 Michigan Ave., when neighbors noticed smoke coming from an apartment, Lt. Roger Harrah said.

The firefighters responded and found that a man had fallen asleep while smoking, catching his sheets and blankets on fire. The flames woke the man, who extinguished the fire himself by throwing them into the bathtub, Harrah said.

No one was hurt in the accident, Harrah said.

"The fire was out when we got there, but this was a very dangerous situation. It could have been much worse," Harrah said.

Careless smoking is the second leading cause of fire deaths, the U.S. Fire Administration reports.

Copyright 2007-2017 Ashtabula Fire Department  |  Website Design & Hosting by JNKWebDesignz