Faulty stove installation causes fire at business
By: Shelley Terry - Star Beacon
ASHTABULA - - City firefighters responded to a roof fire Thursday at a towing company at 5724 Main Ave.
When firefighters arrived at 10:29 a.m. at Bartone's Service and Towing, smoke was billowing from the roof, according to Ashtabula Fire Chief Ron Pristera.
"I didn't know it was happening," said owner Bonita Westover. "I was sitting in my office when one of the guys looked out and yelled, 'Smoke!'"
No one was injured in the blaze.
Ashtabula Fire Department Engine 1 personnel opened the roof at the front roof line and extinguished the fire, while Ashtabula Township Fire Department Engine 72 ventilated the building, according to the Ashtabula Fire Department report.
City police arrived at 10:38 a.m. to direct traffic around the fire trucks parked along Main Avenue.
Firefighters estimated the damage at $5,000, the report said.
After investigating the scene, it was determined that the faulty installation of a wood-burning stove caused the fire, according to the report.
Westover said she believed there was a problem in the chimney.
Firefighters left Bartone's Towing at about 11:20 a.m., and business at the towing company continued, as usual.