News Articles
Emerg. Preparedness
Hot Shots
Press Releases
Department Roster
Department History
Services Provided
Important Links
Fire FAQ's

Department SOG's

Medical Privacy Notice

Five saved in apartment fire -
Video Documentary

Entrance Exam 2017

2007 Images
2006 Images
2005 Images
2004 Images
2003 Images
2002 Images
2001 Images
2000 Images
1999 Images

Historical Images

See All Images

Smoky fire cause a mystery

By:  Star Beacon - Shelley Terry

ASHTABULA Smoke billowed out of a ranch-style home at 524 W. 25th St. Monday evening, but it wasnt because of a Labor Day barbecue.

The tenant, Thomas J. Wolfgang, called city firefighters at 7:23 p.m. after he noticed smoke coming from his bedroom ceiling fan.

I took down the fan and I still saw smoke, he said. My bedroom was full of smoke.

Wolfgang escaped without injury.

When firefighters arrived shortly thereafter, they found smoke blowing out from under the roof and flames showing in the windows.

Neighbors gathered outside to watch as fire trucks from Ashtabula City and Ashtabula Township fire departments responded to the call.

Some of the firefighters wore protective face gear because of the thick, black smoke.

About 10 minutes later, the owners of the home, Fred and Ora Tyus of Ashtabula, drove up to the scene in a car. They were at a barbecue when a neighbor called them, Ora Tyus said, donning an apron.

I was cooking, she said. I just left my pots on the stove.

The couple spoke with the firefighters, who told them they did not yet know the cause of the blaze, she said.

Fred Tyus said it looked like their house was a total loss.

I kept that house nice, too, he said. The grass was always mowed.

Copyright 2007-2017 Ashtabula Fire Department  |  Website Design & Hosting by JNKWebDesignz