Ashtabula firefighters battle kitchen fire
By: Shelley Terry - Star Beacon
ASHTABULA - - City firefighters responded to a kitchen fire shortly before noon Wednesday at Lakeview Towers, 3703 Lake Ave.
Upon arrival at 11:44 a.m., a maintenance worker met firefighters at the door of the seven-story building, which is owned by the Ashtabula Metro Housing Authority, 3526 Lake Ave.
The worker told firefighters the fire was in apartment 601 and sprinkler head went off.
Moderate smoke conditions were found on the sixth floor and heavy smoke filled apartment 601.
"The fire was in the kitchen," Lt. Shawn Gruber said. "(The tenant) said she forgot she put a pot on the stove."
A dry chemical extinguisher was used to put out the blaze, according to the report.
"The sprinkler controlled the fire until we put it out," Gruber said.
Firefighters set up fans in the apartment and stairwell to ventilate the building. They also checked on the welfare of residents on the sixth and seventh floors.
No one was injured.
Firefighters estimated $15,000 worth of damage was done to the apartment. They cleared the scene at 12:28 p.m.
The fire department offers these tips on preventing common kitchen fires:
- If a pan catches fire, put a lid on it and turn off the burner. Never pour water on a grease fire; it will spread.
- Keep an oven or a microwave door closed if a fire starts.
- Turn pot handles toward the center of stove so they aren't knocked off.
- Heat oil slowly. It can flash.
- Always unplug toaster ovens after use.