House has new insulation, then structure catches fire
By: Star Beacon - Shelley Terry
ASHTABULA ó An odd odor brought firefighters to a Pennsylvania Avenue home Monday afternoon, according to an Ashtabula Fire Department report.
When firefighters arrived at 5:03 p.m. at 1326 Pennsylvania Ave., they discovered a two-story brick house with light smoke blowing out of the roof, the report said.
The residents said a company blew insulation into the attic space earlier in the day. After the workers left, they started to smell something in the attic, the report said.
No one was injured.
Firefighters went to the second-floor master bedroom and discovered light smoke with burn marks on the ceiling, the report said. They spread out salvage covers over the bed and floor of the room.
More firefighters climbed to the roof of the house and removed the vent to help let the smoke out, the report said.
Once all the equipment was in place, firefighters pulled the ceiling on the second floor and extinguished the blaze. Three attic rafter were burning, as well as the insulation, firefighters said.
Fire crews removed debris from the attic and threw it out the bedroom window, the report said.
Damage to the home was estimated at $10,000 in property and $10,000 in contents, according to the report.
Robert Poploske owns the property, according to the Ashtabula County Auditorís Web site.
Firefighters left the scene at 6:41 p.m., the report said.