News Articles
Emerg. Preparedness
Hot Shots
Press Releases
Department Roster
Department History
Services Provided
Important Links
Fire FAQ's

Department SOG's

Medical Privacy Notice

Five saved in apartment fire -
Video Documentary

Entrance Exam 2017

2007 Images
2006 Images
2005 Images
2004 Images
2003 Images
2002 Images
2001 Images
2000 Images
1999 Images

Historical Images

See All Images


By:  Star Beacon - Shelley Terry

ASHTABULA — A bicyclist was injured seriously Tuesday when he was struck by a car at the Five Points intersection.

The victim, Paul Rettinger, 44, of 321 W. 54th St., Ashtabula, was flown by medical helicopter to a hospital in Cleveland.

“The car hit him, and he flipped through the air,” said witness Ashley Hazeltine of Ashtabula. “He landed hard.”

Rettinger lay crumpled up on his right side on the road with one bent bicycle wheel near him. It appeared at the scene that he sustained a serious head injury.

The accident occurred at 12:51 p.m. on Route 20 at Five Points.

Rettinger was riding north on Lake Avenue, crossing Route 20 while on his lunch break from Plasticolors on Michigan Avenue. He was hit by a gold Grand Prix driven by Amanda Cragon, 20, of Ashtabula, who was driving south on Lake Avenue but turning east on Route 20, Ashtabula Police Sgt. Ronald Kaydo said.

Cragon remained at the scene, the windshield of her car damaged from the impact. Cragon and her young child, who was secured in a car seat, were not injured, police said.

The crash is still under investigation, Kaydo said.

Rettinger was transported by Community Care Ambulance to Ashtabula County Medical Center, where the medical helicopter picked him up.

Rettinger often rode his bicycle to work, said a friend who wished to remain anonymous.

The Ashtabula Fire Department assisted city police and ambulance workers at the scene.

Rettinger’s is the second serious bicycle crash in the county so far this year.

In April, Lawrence E. Anderson Jr., 39, of Ashtabula, was riding on Plymouth Ridge Road when he was struck by a car. The driver, Kevin Mills of Ashtabula, left the scene but then turned himself in to police the next morning. Anderson later died at Huron Road Hospital in Cleveland. The Ohio State Highway Patrol charged Mills with several felonies for having left the scene.

Copyright 2007-2017 Ashtabula Fire Department  |  Website Design & Hosting by JNKWebDesignz