Vacant house up in flames
By: Star Beacon - Margie Trax Page
ASHTABULA — An unoccupied home on Woodman Avenue was destroyed by fire Saturday night, Ashtabula Fire Capt. Lyle Hare said Sunday.
Firefighters from all three city engine companies responded to the call at 11:05 p.m. and were at the scene at 5650 Woodman Ave. within four minutes, Hare reported. The firefighters noticed heavy smoke and fire showing from the front rooms of the double-wide manufactured home, the fire report shows.
“The guys did a great job,” Hare said. “They responded quickly and ran lines through the front door and contained the fire very quickly. The flames were under control within 10 minutes and extinguished by 11:35 p.m.”
Firefighters searched the house and found it to be sparsely furnished with just two couches, Hare said. No one was inside the house, which has been unoccupied for several months, fire reports show.
Utilities to the house, including electricity and natural gas, were disconnected, Hare said.
Firefighters “performed an extensive overhaul and extinguished all remaining fire,” the report states. The fire marshal and one engine company remained at the scene until 1:26 a.m. Sunday.
The fire is under investigation by the fire marshal, Hare said, and a dollar value on the loss can’t be determined until the investigation is complete. The fire marshal will return the scene of the fire to further investigate, Hare said.
“While the fire was contained to the front rooms, the house sustained significant smoke and heat damage,” Hare said. “I doubt seriously if it could be repaired and lived in again.”